Our team loves to collaborate and create new recipes, dishes, limited product releases, and really just work toward creating new ways for people to try cricket flour and edible insects in new ways. So when USA Pears reached out about working together on new recipes using their delicious pears, we were all in. We decided to create three different recipes using cricket protein and pears, and even had help from an amazing Portland based Chef Kathy High, that helped put these recipes together for you to try and share.
This play on a classic french financier makes a tasty small cake, and comes together very easily. While this recipe is using diced fresh pear, you can also use the drained pear pieces from the pear ginger compote instead. If using fresh pear, any pear will work here as long as it has good flavor. To make your own Pear and Cricket Financiers, check out the following ingredients and directions below. Enjoy!
1 cup (110g) Confectioner’s sugar
1/3 cup (40g) Almond powder/flour
2 tablespoons (20g) All Purpose Flour
2 tablespoons (20g) Cricket Flours: 100% Pure Cricket Powder
1/4 teaspoon (1g) Baking powder
1/2 cup (110g) Egg whites (about 3 egg whites)
4 tablespoons (55g) Butter (1/2 stick)
1 Small pear, diced small
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spray a mini muffin tin with pan spray, or use a silicone mold
- Whisk together all dry ingredients
- Whisk in half the egg whites
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, and then heat until the butter begins to brown and smells nutty
- Pour butter over dry ingredients and whisk to combine
- Add remaining egg whites and whisk until the batter is completely incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared molds, filling about 3⁄4 of the way
- Place a few bits of pear on top of the batter in the center of each mold
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cakes have risen and are golden around the edges.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and then remove from molds
These Pear and Cricket Financiers can be served warm or at room temperature, or dusted with confectioner’s sugar if desired. These cakes also freeze well. Yields 20 cakes of mini muffin size.
Looking for More Cricket Flours Recipes?
We put together some quick links in case you were looking for more information about Cricket Flours Recipes, USA Pears, or would like see more recipe creations from our guest Chef Kathy High.
- Click here to see all of our Cricket Flours Recipes
- Click here to read our article with USA Pears
- Click here to see Chef Kathy’s High recipe for a Chocolate Cricket Decadence Cake with Pear Compote
- Click here to see Chef Kathy’s High recipe for a Tropical Pear Juice Boost